We’ve just finished summer — a time of sun, sand, and (socially-distanced) fun! But if you’re like us, you’ve probably spent a lot of time in chlorinated pools, salty ocean water, and your hair could use a little TLC.
So, to heal dry or damaged hair, we have to know what we’re working with.
When your hair is suffering from major chlorine damage, it’s dry and rough. This is because chlorine does a great job of absorbing all of the natural oils from your hair and skin. It also can have chemical interactions with your hair that are less than cute. Particularly if you have blonde or color-treated hair that’s already a little dry from color processing, making your hair brittle and giving you split ends.
Salt-water is natural, from Mother Earth herself. And while it does act as a natural exfoliator for your skin, it’s also hygroscopic. This means that while it does attract more water to the outside of your hair strands, it absorbs the moisture from the inside of your hair strands, making your hair weaker and more susceptible to breakage. This effect of saltwater on your hair is doubled when you’re swimming with color-treated hair.
First things first, note which type of dry hair you’re wanting to heal: color-treated, curly, or fine hair.
For color-treated hair that’s damaged or dry:
You’ll want to start by protecting the strands of hair that have already gone through color-treatment and maintain the vibrant color. For that, we recommend:
- Color Goddess Kit — includes gentle, fatty acid-rich coconut-based surfactants to create a rich foam that lifts dirt and other substances away without stripping the color.
- Hypersilk Color-treated Shampoo & Conditioner – includes coconut amino acids, keratin, polyquaternium-7, avocado butter, and blueberry oil — all rich in vitamins and nutrients your hair needs to shine.
- Hypersilk Soothing Balm – with ingredients like rosemary oil, keratin, and coconut oil, this non-greasy, milky-blend works to support hair’s softness and moisture levels, and protect against excess heat and dryness.
- Lasio Keratin Protector – this little number might seem small, but it’s mighty. Protecting your hair from salt and chlorine, this spray works to shield your locks from heat while also protecting your keratin and color-treated hair.
- Hypersilk Advanced Serum – infused with cocamide oil that works to rebalance your hair’s moisture levels. Rapidly reduces frizz.
- Lasio 1” ProStraight Ceramic Flat Iron – nothing protects your hair quite like the gentle, consistent heat that is produced by ceramic.
For curly hair that’s damaged or dry:
Naturally curly, coiled, and textured hair is naturally, well, dry. Dry hair, plus summer heat, chlorine, and salt? That’s a recipe for disaster. With that, we recommend the following:
- Naturally Textured Kit – includes Hypersilk Replenishing Shampoo & Conditioner, Hypersilk Texturizing Keratin Mist, and our Smoothing Balm, all working to promote hair that’s frizz-free, but still airy, weightless, and full of curls.
- Hypersilk Revitalizing Hair Masque – this masque works to repair breakage and damage while also restoring essential hydration and nutrients to your hair.
- Lasio Keratin Protector – this spray works to protect your curls from heat + chlorine + saltwater. Simply spray before going to the pool or beach, and lock those curls in place!
For fine hair that’s damaged or dry:
Fine hair is delicate, and can easily be hurt by the summer sun. Treat it right with the following products:
- Diva Sleek – includes Replenishing Shampoo & Conditioner, plus our Hypersilk Smoothing Balm and our Hypersilk Advanced Serum, all working together for maximum sleekness and shine.
- Hypersilk Revitalizing Hair Masque – this masque works to repair breakage and damage. For those with fine hair, this will balance out the hydration and nutrients in your hair for that healthy shine.
- Lasio 1” ProStraight Ceramic Flat Iron – nothing protects your hair (especially fine hair) quite like the gentle, consistent heat that is produced by ceramic.