You sit back in the chair in front of the hairdresser’s sink and rest your neck on the edge. Your hairdresser adds in clarifying shampoos, conditioners, hair masks, and then scrubs with her fingertips. And it feels so good you almost get lulled to sleep. That’s the feeling of scalp exfoliation.
Scalp exfoliation sounds dreamy, but for many, it may also sound like an extra step to what might already be a complicated morning routine. But don’t stop reading just yet — the benefits are outstanding.
Here’s why it’s so great to exfoliate the scalp
- No more product buildup – Without properly exfoliating your scalp, you might experience buildup from hair spray, hair gels, etc. And when that happens, your follicles can get blocked, preventing your hair from growing to its healthiest and fullest.
- Rebalances pH levels – The pH balance of your hair is typically at 3.67, while the scalp is usually at 5.5. Exfoliating your scalp gives your new skin cells time to recharge and regenerate, balancing the pH of your scalp!
- Prevents dandruff – Dandruff is the biggest pain — especially in the fall and winter months. If you exfoliate your scalp regularly, you give your new skin cells the chance to be nourished by your body’s natural oils. This will work toward keeping your scalp hydrated and dandruff-free.
Here’s how to exfoliate your scalp the right way
You’ll want to exfoliate your scalp roughly once every 10 washes.
- Make sure your hair is wet or just-shampooed.
- Comb through and separate your hair into sections.
- Place the exfoliating product of your choice on your head. Take care to avoid the hair shaft.
- In circular motions, use your fingertips to gently rub your scalp. For those who have a sensitive scalp, avoid using your fingernails.
- Gentle rinse and dry.
It’s really that easy. You can always make your own natural exfoliants at home, or you can always use the Lasio Hypersilk Replenishing Conditioner, for an exfoliating session that’s gentle, hydrating, and easy on the hair.